The 4 year old “Preparatory Kindergarten Program” prepares children for Kindergarten. Daily activities are designed to help children continue to make decisions on their own and in the classroom. Children feel confident to explore their interests.
4 year old Program
- Weekly Activities/Themes that help prepare your child for kindergarten
- Bilingual instruction (French and English)
- Small-group lessons focused on mathematics, literacy, writing and science
- Large-group activities that help your child learn to respect others ideas and opinions
- Portfolios that document growth and development through your child's work
- Classroom activities that help your child build literacy and numeracy skills
- Language Development: the classroom is a language-rich environment that encourages children’s development of early literacy skills through daily storytime etc. Weekly writing activities and stencils are continued, connecting sounds to letters through picture and word association. Develop phonemic awareness through books, games and puzzles.
- Cognitive Development: Challenge children to ask and answer questions. Promote an understanding of sequencing such as first, next and last.
- Friendships/Social Development: Identify emotions, have group discussions to promote sharing ideas, thoughts and feelings. Provide many opportunities to cooperate, problem-solve and make choices.
- Gross Motor development is encouraged through improving balance and coordination, jumping and running .
- Fine Motor development is improved through lacing activities, stencils and writing activities.
- Creativity is encouraged through self expression: drawing, singing, telling stories and through encouraging independent thinking.
- Children are encouraged to think through and solve problems, to challenge themselves through different activities.